Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Thursday, May 13, 2010

286 - When All Else Fails


... read the instructions.  A new version of that saying would be, "When all else fails, search Google."  As with both sayings, one should do the last phrase first; it would save a lot of headache.

This afternoon, my main home PC gave me the above error - BOOTMGR is missing.  It wouldn't boot past that point.  Frack!  Of course, I jumped to the worst conclusion, that my hard drive had just crashed.  Fortunately, my files are saved on a different hard drive, so I didn't have that panic.  After putting in a new hard drive and formatting it, I found that it wouldn't read my slaved drive.  So, I finally resorted to Google.  No luck on the slave issue.  Put the old hard drive back in thinking that maybe I could get it to reformat, but again got the error above.  FINALLY, my brain decided to work and I googled the error.  There was a solution.  I had to create a Windows Vista 64-bit Recovery Disc, but once that was done, the support thread I was reading stepped me right through the fix.

Yes, there are positives - I didn't lose any data or program installations because the fix only had to repair the boot process.  Also, I have multiple computers, so while my main one was sitting there hung up, I was using others to finally research and then create the needed disc.

Next time - will I try on my own or remember to Google first?  Dunno.  Just glad that I did this time.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment