Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

312 - Death of a Salesman


I have not hidden the fact that I'm very ignorant when it comes to the classics of literature.  I do not recollect ever having to read Shakespeare in high school or college, and with a focus on music, don't really know if I had to read any of what we call the classics.  So, I went down to Limelight to see Death of a Salesman knowing virtually nothing about the play.  In fact, what I'd heard just through life wasn't good, but when someone whose opinion I respect said this show was excellent, that was good enough for me!  And Joe was right - the show was excellent, even more than excellent.

I can see how folks could say the show is depressing, but it didn't do that for me.  And, I can see how folks could say it's not enjoyable to watch.  If the cast had not been stellar, the 2 and a half hour play could have dragged horribly.  But, this cast of actors were so on their game that I didn't notice the length and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm not going to do a play synopsis.  If you don't know the story line, you can look it up.  John Thomas was superb as Willie Loman.  Every step he took, ever word he said seemed authentic and real.  What an incredibly demanding role, and he pulled it off with what looked like ease.  It wasn't until I read the bios after the show that I found out that John was Charlemagne in Pippin.  I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that Willie and Charlemagne were played by the same actor.  Wow. 

Marcia Morgan-Cook played Linda Loman, and again was simply superb.  I think it would be difficult to play a character that is pushed into the background, who has to so delicately walk around the main character.  Marcia had us just aching for Linda's situation, her loneliness.

The other two actors that I thought were great were the two playing Happy and Bernard.  (The one who played Bernard was also in Barefoot in the Park).

Fitting for the emotion of this play, the curtain call was perfect.  No running on stage for bows; the lights came up to find the cast standing there.  Simple movement to the front for recognition.

Wow.  It is so energizing and fulfilling to see good theatre, and the Jacksonville area is extremely blessed to have the wonderful actors they have.  Big congrats and thank you to the Limelight, cast and crew of Death of a Salesman.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment