Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Saturday, October 17, 2009

78 - Humbled



Today was a good day.  The weather is absolutely gorgeous, and our "cue to cue" rehearsal was only a little over 5 hours long (to set 90 cues).  And yes, it seems my headache is GONE.  Part of it came back during rehearsal, maybe from standing on stage with lights shining in my eyes and not really being able to move while they worked with the light cues.  (I finally just stood with my eyes closed.)

As we were getting dressed for some publicity shots, KG made the comment about how the newness of seeing her in shows wore off with her friends.  Now it's like, oh, you're in another show, ho hum.  That's completely understandable, and I see that happening somewhat with my friends.  And it's OK.  Her comment however reminded me of how humbled I am that people come to the theatre simply because I'm in a show.  A Watson group of some sort (pictured above when they came to see The Spitfire Grill) makes it to every show.  A couple of them told me that my shows give them the excuse to get together and do something.  Hey, whatever it takes. 

For a long time, one of my goals in life is to help people find the joy in live theatre.  It's an art form that sucks you into an alternate reality of sorts; it's magic in that the show can often make the rest of the world go away; it's amazing to watch people, human beings, transform themselves into a different character than themselves to bring the audience an evening of enjoyment.  With budget cuts and the like, those of us in the theatre community fear the day may come when our local theatres can't keep their doors open.  Until that day comes, though, we will volunteer our time, our talents and gas money to rehearse, sweat and memorize so that others can go to that magical place with us.

Because of After the Murders, I was unable to go to TN for our bi-annual family get-together.  The family gathers in Townsend twice a year, Spring and Fall, to ride motorcycles together and have fun.  From what I've been told, the amount of joy and lack of fighting we have is unusual.  I think motorcycling holds us together.  After all, no one can talk too much when everyone is on their own motorcycle.  :-)  That said, Spring and Fall are typically when the community theatres have some of the best shows.  It's a struggle not being up there, and I miss them all, but I know I'm also doing what my heart loves so much by being in this show.  Sacrifice for art ... sounds kind of lame, but in some ways it's true.  Maybe I can get up to TN before women's basketball season is over... visit with family and be able to take in a couple of Lady Vols games.  Now, that's a plan!

TTFN!!

2 comments:

  1. I saw "Spitfire Grill," too, before I knew ya ... one of my favorite musicals and it was a lovely production!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You came to "The Grill" when it was at Limelight? OMG! That was my first show ever.

    ReplyDelete