Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Sunday, March 14, 2010

222 - The Story So Far


I fell behind on my blogs because Wednesdays' "positive" had a lot to it in my mind.  The day was spent driving to TN, which is typically when I catch up on Podcasts.  Earlier in the week, I'd logged onto iTunes to download their free Broadway-themed podcasts and found that they had a series on Stephen Sondheim called "The Story So Far."  I had to listen to it in two segments ... it was incredible, but after 18 podcasts, I needed a break to digest what I'd listened to so far.  (Plus, the weather was terrible around Atlanta, so it was hard to listen and comprehend while concentrating on traffic.)

The series is 30 podcasts long; total time for all 30 is almost 5 and a half hours. The longest ones (between 20 and 30 minutes) are about his biggest hits (Sunday in the Park with George; Into the Woods; Sweeney Todd; Company), and with the biggest hits, they had extra podcasts talking about specific songs in the show.  Example:  two podcasts on The Worst Pies in London, one by Angela Landsbury (the original Mrs. Lovette) and one by Patti LuPone (the most recent Mrs. Lovett).  It was so interesting listening to each of them talk about how they went about learning the words, music, difficult rhythm and choreography for Worst Pies.

The series boasts comments and memories from the likes of Angela Landsbury, Elaine Stritch, Barbara Cook, Patti LuPone, James Lapine, Laura Benanti, Hal Prince, Lonny Price, Paul Gemignani, Len Cariou, Jonathan Tunick, Chita Rivera .... directors, producers, conductors, orchestrators, and actors. But most impressively, the master himself, Stephen Sondheim.

From Elaine Stritch:  The first run through in the rehearsal hall, Steve wrote me a note. I'm so proud of it.  I loved getting it; it was so encouraging.  He said, "You have turned a saloon song into a piece of theatre" which was just extrodinary, putting himself down and putting me up.... but I know what he means.  A good saloon song is good theatre.  (Talking about The Ladies Who Lunch.)

I think the most moving discussion came from Mandy Patakin concering Sunday in the Park.  Mandy performed Finishing the Hat after just being given the song that morning.  He put the words in his sketch pad.  He says the place went insane and that he's never done it any better than that first night on stage.  He says the piece became "the metaphore for my life.  The irony that I got to be in it and then that my life was defined by it.  My whole relationship with my work is my music, and my whole relationship with Steve is with the music. Because he's my torah, he's my bible.  He and Shakespear really are the food source to my soul."  In talking about Move On, he says that when the family comes onto stage and Dot starts talking to that young artist, he almost always became overwhelmed with emotion.  "It's the most zen song that I think anyone could wish for to be written. ... It's a killer, I tell you.  I can't listen to is because I can't take it; I miss it too much.  I tell you ... (heavy sigh) ... it was the best part of my life, on the stage." 

While listening to these, I realized how fortunate we are to have the technology that enables these interviews to be made and readily available for us to listen to.  Imagine if we were able to listen to Shakespeare discuss how he came up with his plays, or Bach discuss his compositions.  We do, thanks to Masterworks Broadway series, have wonderful insight into these musicals and the genius behind them.

My memories went back to the two times I'd been fortunate enough to be in the same building with Stephen Sondheim.  Nope, no where near him, but still in the same building.  The first was in 2005 when Sweeney Todd was back on Broadway.  While at the stage door, one of the actors mentioned that Sondheim had been backstage during the performance.  Yes, I thought it was very cool that we were in the same building.  Then in the summer of 2008 when I probably experienced the most magical night of theatre I ever will experience:  Opening Night of Gypsy with Patti LuPone.  It was musical theatre heaven.  On the 8th curtain call (seriously), Patti walked over stage right, and grabbed someone's hand.  She pulled Stephen Sondheim AND Arthur Laurents on stage with her for the last bows.  I doubt anything will top that evening.

There's something about theatre that just touches my soul, but I don't have the words to completely express the feelings it emotes.  I'm glad I found The Story So Far podcasts ...



No comments:

Post a Comment