Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Sunday, February 21, 2010

204 - Oliver (The Musical, Not My Cat)


Saturday night found me patiently sitting in the lobby at Orange Park Community Theatre hoping someone wouldn't show up so I could get a seat.  Lately, I've had plans but couldn't follow through, so I didn't reserve a seat.  The director was kind enough to give me his seat, so I was able to see the show and support my friends who were in it.

I'd never been to OPCT.  I found the history of the theatre very interesting.  This is from their website:
"The land on Blake Avenue, between Highway 17 and River Road was owned by a wealthy family who had a large home. They built a two story annex at the back of their home for use as a summer home for the little girls from St. Mary's orphanage in Jacksonville. The annex had classrooms on the lower floor and dormitories and showers on the top floor. It wasn't unusual to find 78 or so little girls enjoying the fresh air and spacious grounds in the summertime down there by the river.

In order to attend mass, however, the girls had to ride a bus downtown to St. Paul's every Sunday. Bishop Barry recognized the need and made way for the construction of a chapel to be built on the grounds in 1930. The chapel was built in the mission style and was designed by Claude Legh.

Eventually, St. Mary's orphanage moved to Arlington and the summer home in Orange Park was no longer needed. From the 1950's to 1971, the chapel was the home of St. Mary's parish. However, with the influx of new parishoners, the congregation outgrew the small chapel. In 1970, land was cleared for a new parish on Kingsley Avenue known as St. Catherine's.

When this happened, the chapel was rented out for a variety of functions. Virginia Mims eventually bought the property on Blake Avenue and in 1986 the house and chapel were scheduled for demolition. Mrs. Mims agreed to donate the building to OPCT with the stipulation that it had to be physically moved to another location. That's when in 1987, a parade of dedicated volunteers followed this building down Kingsley Avenue and further to its resting place where it sits to this day."


From what I understand, OPCT has fallen into a pattern quite often seen in community theatres - same actors in most shows.  The show felt like a stereotypical community theatre production.  I know that it had many, many challenges along the way, but because my blog is to focus on the positive in my day, I will focus on the positive in the show.

My friends EJG, JSG and IG were all in the show, and my "son" from Aussie Song, RT, was also in the show.  RT played The Artful Dodger and did a great job.  EJG played Mr. Brownlow, a police officer, and was in the chorus.  His portrayal of Oliver's grandfather (Mr. Brownlow) was great.  JSG and IG were in the big production numbers.  I had a smile that stretched from ear to ear when EJG and IG were dancing, and also when JSG and IG were 'chatting' at a table.  Dad and daughter; mother and daughter.  That's pretty cool.

The show showcases very memorable tunes that you hear audience members humming as they leave.  "Food, Glorious Food", "Where is Love", "Consider Yourself", "I'd Do Anything", and of course "As Long As He Needs Me."

It was also great to finally see the musical that I named my cat after - Oliver!  He's the little, runt, orphan who found his family too.

TTFN!

Last night's curtain call.  IG and JSG are on the left; RT is center; unfortunately, EJG is hidden behind someone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment