Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Sunday, February 28, 2010

211 - Independent Means

 

This weekend, TJ (Theatre Jacksonville http://www.theatrejax.com/) celebrated it's 90th birthday.  They had a big birthday bash on Friday night (which unfortunately, I could not attend) and then 2 matinees this weekend of "A Woman of Independent Means", a reading with Emmy winning Susan Clark.

First, what do I mean by "reading"?  This is a good definition that I found online:  Interpretative or dramatic reading may be performed by one or more people. The focus is on vocal expression. Consequently, physical movement is limited and the piece is not memorized. Each reader has the script in hand and often does not portray a character. Rehearsals focus on vocal tone, volume, rhythm, and inflection.

The set was simple.  A tall table with flowers, mid stage right with a music stand downstage more center.  A chair next to an end table, mid stage left, again with a music stand by the chair.  There were more flowers on the end table along with black and white family photos.  On both stands were copies of the script which Susan Clark partially read from; she knew enough of the script to look up quite a bit.  In Act I, she was dressed in a light blue long blouse and matching long skirt.  Her hair was styled with bangs and convered her ears.  Act II found her in a black blouse with sequins and a long black skirt.  Her hair was subtly changed; her banks now parted and swept a little back, and her hair was tucked behind her ears.  It made her look older.

"A Woman of Independent Means" is a book written in 1979 by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey.  The main character, Bess Steed Garner, was based on the author's grandmother who lived in Dallas, TX.  Her story is told through the letters she wrote, from the turn of the century (19th to 20th) until close to her death in the late 1960's.  The writing is full of humor, passion and emotion, and Susan Clark delivered the material superbly.

Even though I've done a few shows, I still consider myself a novice when it comes to the theatrical arts, and I often watch a stage performance partially with a learner's eye.  After having done some monologue work with CB, I was anxious to see this.  Susan Clark's cadance, vocal quaility, delivery and emotion for each letter she read was spot on.  Every movement she made on stage (and there was very little) was done for a specific purpose.  Everything was captured in her face and her voice.  After signing off a letter, you could watch her emotions change to the emotion of the next letter.  If this wasn't the best performance I've seen by an actor, it's most definately one of the best.  I felt, as I listened, that I knew Bess, her friends and her family, yet every letter was written by Bess and read in the first person.  That's how good Susan Clark was ... at least she was for me.

My only disappointment was that the theatre was not full.  It's rare to have the opportunity to see a one women show, and even more rare to see one by an actor who knows her craft so well.  I hope they had a full house at Sunday's show.

A heartfelt Thank You to TJ for bringing Susan Clark to town to present this reading.  It will remain in my memory as a truly remarkable experience.

(PS - I enjoyed the actual text of the reading so much, I ordered the book.)

TTFN!


No comments:

Post a Comment