Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Thursday, January 21, 2010

173 - What If Today Were The Day?





After a day filled with all sorts of hardware issues, both in the office and at home, it was so nice to go out to dinner and then see the tour production of "A Chorus Line."  Haze and I saw the revival in New York, December 2006; I wondered how this would stack up.  It didn't do too badly.  I actually liked this Cassie better than Charlotte d'Amboise in NY.  However, the other cast members were better in NY, especially the character Val.  You would think that the actress singing "Dance 10, Looks 3" (aka "Tits and Ass) would actually have ... um .... tits.  Song lacks a bit of a punch without the props (?) to back it up.  And while the actress playing Diana Morales didn't really wow me with "Nobody," I was moved with "What I Did For Love."  Absolutely LOVED the vocal ending.  They probably did that in NY too, but I don't remember it.

2 things with last night's show - the scene leading up to "What I Did For Love" and the scene around "The Music and the Mirrors."

Prior to "What I Did For Love," Zach asks, "But if today were the day you had to stop dancing. How would you feel?"  When I saw the show in NY, I immediately thought, what if I couldn't sing any more.  It was heart wrenching to think I could lose something that in many ways I use to define myself.  In 3 short years, that reaction moved to include acting.  What if I couldn't do theatre anymore?  I know I would "point me toward tomorrow," but I also know there would be this huge void.

But more than that scene, Cassie and her desire to dance on stage, even if it is in the chorus, was the impact moment.  I wish I could find a copy of the script online because there was one line Cassie had that said it all.  That part of the show made me think of "Into the Woods."  I didn't care that I had a small role, I was in a SONDHEIM musical at Theatre Jax, and I was in another show!  That's all that really mattered to me.  I don't know that I'll ever be leading lady material, but as long as I can continue "working," I think I'm happy.

"God, I hope I get it!!!"

TTFN!

http://www.achorusline.com/achorusline_show.php




2 comments:

  1. Gotta' agree. "Working" (Volunteering) is really what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Your part(s) were not small.
    B. You were great in all of them.
    C. It would be OUR loss if you stopped performing!

    We hope you get it, too.

    ReplyDelete