Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Sunday, December 13, 2009

134 - Christmas Cabaret

Saturday found us down in Daytona for our annual visit with the residents of Olds Hall.  It's a retirement home on US1 with all 3 levels of living - independent, assisted and nursing.  (History of our visits posted below.)  TAC and I lead the group in carols, do some solos and basically have fun. It's never a great "performance," but that's not the point.  The point is to entertain the residents and have fun.  One of the ladies came up to me yesterday and said, "This is the party we look forward to all year long."  How sweet.

In addition to our music, Suzann did some belly dancing while we took a break.  It's so much fun to watch her, and especially see her improvement over the years.  I think the residents are going to expect a repeat performance next year!

We did have a show last night too!  Bill, our lead who injured his back, was able to do the show, even if he couldn't sit or do a lot of the choreography.  He was on some meds, but listening to him you wouldn't know it.  Wow!  "The show must go on" ...  theatre peeps are simply awesome, really.

A shout out to my friends Haze, Stu, JSG, EJG and IG.  We had well over 6 inches of rain yesterday, and yet they braved that and drove a good distance to come see Aussie Song.  I'm humbled by their support.  And I learned something - backstage, the cast was saying it was a tough audience.  What we mean by that is that we don't feel we're getting a lot of feedback/energy from the audience.  EJG pointed out the "emotional rollercoaster" of the show, and I saw it in a different light.  It is a very moving show (as I've said probably too many times), and I can see how when you're wrapped up in the emotions you wouldn't be laughing as much in what we, as a cast, see to be the humorous parts.  The Train Station scene did get a lot of laughter.  :-)  (Thank you, EJG, for helping my perspective.)  My friends were overflowing with compliments on the music, the story, the cast.  It touches me more than I can express to have their support.

The sun is shining on Sunday and we have another show!
TTFN!



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful gift for the residents!

    And, yes, sometimes a VERY QUIET audience is an audience that is FOCUSED on and invested in what's going on ...

    ReplyDelete