Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Sunday, September 13, 2009

44 - I Want Outside

Years ago, I tried modifying a privacy fence so the cats could go out side (at that time I had 4) but not get out of the yard. For my two older cats, it was fine. They were content with their little outside corner of the world. For Spaz, there was nothing I could do to keep him in. He even learned to crawl on the underside of angled lattice (angled like the top of a prison fence) in order to flip himself over and out. Oliver, well he would climb to the top of the fence but was too chicken to jump down. So, up on the roof he went. I can't tell you how many times I had to get him off of the roof. What was worse was once Spaz figured out how to wiggle the sliding door open, then I'd come home from work to find Oliver bellowing from the rooftop to get him down ... now!

Well, now that the back yard is fenced in, I figured I could let Oliver out as long as Diva and I were out back. The first half dozen times, it was ok. He couldn’t get far because Diva would be there to chase him back. The earlier this week, he walked the length of the fence to discover that there’s enough room for him to get out where the gate is. Fortunately, he didn’t run; I just walked out and picked him up. (I’ve since blocked that off.)

Today, Diva did a good job of not letting him far from the patio. But, he discovered that the garbage can (on the patio) was right up against the privacy fence (which is at the corner of the house). Next thing I know, he’s on top of the garbage can then on top of the privacy fence. I was able to grab him before having to go get the ladder.

While he’s a very industrious little cat, I’m still going to take him out back with me. He has livened up and seems so much happier now that he gets to soak up a little vitamin D.

TTFN!

1 comment: