Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Saturday, September 26, 2009

56 - Pippin... WOW!!



Wow. First time I saw the show 2 weeks ago at Players By The Sea, I said “wow”. And last night, it was a double-“wow”. With a cast of over 15 and scenes where all of them are on stage at the same time, you can’t see it all in one viewing. Plus, there were some darker themes that I didn’t fully catch the first time around.

This was the first time I’d seen Pippin on stage. From what friends had said, most other versions were more ‘symbolic’ of the plot where as this one was more direct. As many of the cast members posted – this is not your momma’s Pippin! It’s raw, gutsy and sexy.

More than anything for me, though, was the dance. Hard to believe it was almost 40 years ago when I watched West Side Story on tv and knew inside that I wanted to do that. I watched this incredibly talented group last night and am still thinking – I want to do that!!

But the icing on the cake for me was watching my friends perform (4 of them in this show) and knowing that I’m now a part of the Jacksonville theatre community. One day I’ll find the words to express what that means ….. and maybe one day I will be able to dance like that.

TTFN!
The Pippin review in Entertainment U:
http://www.eujacksonville.com/story2.php?storyid=1122




No comments:

Post a Comment