Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Monday, August 17, 2009

17/46-365 Meet Mama Key

Audition was on Saturday. “We’ll let everyone know about casting on Monday or Tuesday” … that’s the hardest part. Waiting. All day today I kept checking my cell phone; hopes were up because I felt good about my audition (something rare). Caryl did call at lunch and offered me the role of “Mama Key” … “Female, mid-40s to mid-50s, a Texan (mezzo belt); A big hearted woman always ready with a home cooked meal” (from ABET’s website). The only other thing I know about Mama Key is that she took in a lot of orphans during the depression. From the two pages of script we read on Saturday, she seems a bit of a mush, and I’m so looking forward to playing someone who is full of love. (Haven’t had a role like that.)

Another thing I’m excited about is working with Caryl. SC (one of my cast mates from Into the Woods and who will also be in Aussie Song) said Caryl is a wonderful teacher. I can’t wait. I want to learn everything I can from her, pick her brain. I know she spent 20 years working in New York – she has to be just awesome. It’s going to be great working with GLR again. We had a grand time in Nunsense, and I’m sure we’ll have fun in this show too.

The other exciting thing is that this is the premier showing of this musical. The playwright/composer is here in Jacksonville, and we’re doing the show for the first time. She’ll be working with us in the process. How cool is that?!?!?!?!!!

Rehearsals don’t start until end of October as the show is the first 3 weekends in December. However, ABET is having their season kickoff Extravaganza, and they’ve asked if I can learn one of Mama Key’s songs by Sunday. I look forward to it! The Extravaganza was fun last year.

For more info on the show, visit ABET’s site at:
http://www.abettheatre.com/current-season/aussie-song/

Dreaming about being a Texan in the early 1940’s.

TTFN!


Aussie Song
A world premiere by Jacksonville playwright, Frances Rae Key, relates the true-life story of Teddy Trager and her family growing up in 1930s Australia. This poignant tale takes us to the backwoods of Texas where a humorous culture clash occurs that both Americans and those from Down Under are sure to enjoy. Perfect family holiday musical, with rousing tunes, child actors, and an old-fashioned love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment