Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.


Sunday, August 9, 2009

8/46-365 Humid Music

Ok – my Year 46 Resolution was to blog positively every day. Well, I walked in the door at 11:40pm, and started typing at 11:50pm. I doubt I will finish this and get the photo collage created and posted before midnight, but suffice to say, I still did start my blog before the day was over.

After a lazy day (which I really needed), I went to a house party tonight where TAC was playing. I didn’t get my copy of the COE this month (I think I need to renew my subscription), so TAC had to text me the address. I really didn’t know what this was going to be, just that it was at someone’s house and there was live music. And you know what, that was about it. They had an awning for the band to be under (in case it rained), some tables and chairs, pool. It was BYOB. There were evidently snacks and stuff inside, but I didn’t venture in. Jell-O shooters, but I didn’t partake. It was me and my G2.

A duo opened. Meg and another woman whose name I didn’t catch. Two guitars, or guitar and bass, both sang. Enjoyable to listen to. Then TAC did a set. As always, it’s fun to see her play and sing. She ended with “Closer to Fine”, and forgot the middle verse. Meg, from the opening set jumped up and sang with her, and then TAC motioned me up to finish out the song with them. It was fun.

Kym Berry and her band had the last two sets. (I only stayed for one.) TAC played with them on that first set, and Meg also plays with them on a regular basis. Mostly original pieces. Folk, rock, some country (Yea!). Kym and Wendy (also in the band) were just married up in Canada. After she sang a song called “I Can’t Stop The Rain,” she did a little ‘counseling’ about relationships and the ‘baggage’ every one brings with them. I know what you’re thinking – Rock band leader and she ends up talking about relationships? Well, she had some very wise words, and it was good to listen to. She was happy that she got to see her son who was home from Iraq briefly, and got to meet her 1 year old granddaughter for the first time. Kym’s website is: http://kymberrymusic.com/. You can hear “I Can’t Stop The Rain” on the site. It’s an awesome song.

What was interesting was hearing her background. We so often judge books by their covers, even though we’re taught not to. We’re all guilty of it. I looked at her, and of course thought, gay woman, always been that way. Then I hear she’s a grandmother, her son and daughter are both in the military, and she travelled to Canada in order to be able to marry the person she loves. Rarely are things as simple as they seem on the surface. She’s only a year or two older than me, and I say “good for her!”

The funny thing about this life we lead … I met Kym and Wendy 2 years ago at an arts fair where TAC played. We had chatted a little then, and it was good to see them again. Actually, that arts fair led to some changes as that’s where I met Cheryl and then got involved in the bowling league. Go figure! J

On the way home I was thinking about watching the bands, and wondering to myself if I missed that. The answer is no. While I would love to work up a couple of songs with TAC to join her as a guest every now and then, it’s not something I want to do one a regular basis. I think I found my artistic outlet in theatre. But it’s awesome to support my sister and friends in their gigs.

Time to put the pics together and then post this. I’m letting Kym’s song play over and over. I really do love this song.

TTFN and sweet dreams!

1 comment:

  1. Being able to express yourself through music must be one of the most wonderful things a person can do. I can't, but I can appreciate the gift. Sounds like a night in heaven.

    ReplyDelete